Sunday, June 17, 2007

Unit one evaluation

REGARDING YOUR OWN PERFORMANCE
1. What were the three aspects of the assignments I've submitted that I am most proud of?

Well I'm proud that I got it all done. I figured out how to prnt scrn and blog both things I've never done before. I think the cell turned out pretty good, it was a very intimidating assignment.

2. What two aspects of my submitted assignments do I believe could have used some improvement?

I really wasn't sure how much detail to go into. At the same time I didn't want to go on and on or I'd never get all of the assignments done for the unit.

3. What do I believe my overall grade should be for this unit?
I'm not really sure I still don't know if I did enough. I would like to say an A or B.

4. How could I perform better in the next unit?
I think I might need to have a tutor read over my papers before I submit them. I didn't really have time this unit to do that. I tend to miss grammatical errors.

REGARDING THE UNIT (adapted from Stephen Brookfield, University of St. Thomas "Critical Incident Questionnaire")
At what moment during this unit did you feel most engaged with the course?

I think after I reread everything and truley understood the concepts.

At what moment unit did you feel most distanced from the course?

Trying to understand DNA, cells and heredity online without being able to raise my hand and ask a question.

What action that anyone (teacher or student) took during this unit that find most affirming and helpful?
I liked the detailed instructions for each assignment they were helpful. I also can't believe the amount of work you (the teacher) has put into prepairing this class. I have taken 3 other online classes but none of them were so organized and detailed.

What action that anyone (teacher or student) took during this unit did you find most puzzling or confusing?
I'm not sure that anyone did anything puzzling this unit.


What about this unit surprised you the most? (This could be something about your own reactions to the course, something that someone did, or anything else that occurs to you.)

I think the amount of time it took to do everything surprised me. I was very involved and I had to work on it for several hours a day every day.

1 comment:

Larry Frolich said...

Katie, thanks for all the hard work—great job on this unit!

SELF/UNIT EVALUATION: First off, thanks for the very honest self-evaluation and nice feedback on the unit. Yes, it is a lot of work to prepare this class, but our standards are high in the sciences!

COMPENDIUM REVIEW 1: CELLS: This is an exemplary review. I think you do a good job of organizing the material and present it at a good level. I like the graphics you chose. I think you could more clearly explain how the graphics relate to what your text says. Also, I think you could include references or citations besides just the text. In general, a very well organized and concise job on this review. Keep it up!

COMPENDIUM REVIEW 2: GENETICS: This is also an exemplary review. Basically what applies to review 1 applies here. Keep it up!

MICROSCOPE LAB: This is an exemplary lab write-up. The image looks great. You include all the descriptions of the parts of the scope. You have a nice intro and conclusion. You might have pulled in a few more references to be perfect. But otherwise great job!

DRAGON GENETICS: Your Dragon Lab is a very effective write-up, practically exemplary. The Dragons should have come out with the exact same phenotype (look) and genes in the image and I wish I could see the whole Punnett Square to be sure it’s correct. I like how you brought the intro and conclusion around to something personal. You might have included some other website references. Nice job.

BUILD A CELL: The model is stunning—should go in a text-book, especially the details of protein synthesis and cell division. Really, again, the only thing keeping this from being exemplary is an introduction and conclusion to wrap the whole thing up. Otherwise, incredible job and you really captured it all in the pictures and the text!

ETHICAL ISSUE ESSAY: GENETIC ENGINEERING. This is a model exemplary essay. You present the issue, several different viewpoints and even include those images and reference. Nice job!


Please don’t forget to do your peer color group feedback on their ethical issues essays—you’ll probably find it interesting to see some other blogs also. And get started on Unit II if you haven’t already. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns about this feedback or your grades which can be seen on the YC Blackboard site.
LF